Smoke Alarms Save Lives - the honest truth....
- Fire and Emergency NZ personnel attend on average almost 4,000 house fires a year.
- In over 80% of those fires, smoke alarms were either not installed or not working.
- Most fire fatalities occur in homes, mainly while people are sleeping - you can't smell smoke when asleep!
- Smoke alarms are the best possible defense you and your family have from dying in a fire.
What sort of smoke alarm should I install at home?
- Long-life photoelectric type smoke alarms.
- They provide a minimum of 10 years smoke detection.
- They remove the frustration of fixing the 'flat battery beep' at inconvenient times.
- The cost of replacement batteries for standard alarms means the long-life one effectively pays for itself over its lifetime
- Elderly don't have to scale ladders to replace batteries when needed.
At a minimum, you should install one standard photoelectric alarm in the hallway closest to the bedrooms. Smoke Alarms can be purchased from Thames Fire Station for $25 each, and if you need, one of our members will be more than happy to install them for you.